Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Living Legacy

By: Dan Cole

2 Corinthians 5:17-20

“Our days are numbered. One of the primary goals in our lives should be to prepare for our last day. The legacy we leave is not just in our possessions, but in the quality of our lives. What preparations should we be making now? The greatest waste in all of our earth, which cannot be recycled or reclaimed, is our waste of the time that God has given us each day.” - Billy Graham

            As a man and as a human the question of "what will people say about me when I die?" is on my mind constantly. Not a day goes by that I don't consider what my legacy will be. Will I be forgotten or will I be remembered as a good man? What will stand out most of all in the minds of those remembering my life? My deeds, my humor, my personality, and the things I wrote, or will it be my faith and my relationship with God? I cannot speak for others, but as for me, I want most of all to be remembered for the seeds God used me to plant. I want my legacy to be written not in books, but on the hearts of those God changed through me. My deeds are worthless unless they point to God, my humor cannot save souls, my personality isn't even that great I'm just who God made me, and what I write is garbage if it does not serve God's purpose. If I can not be remembered as a loyal servant of God, it is better for me to be forgotten.

            And of course with the question of legacy, comes "how do I achieve that legacy?" Well it’s a simple answer, but a sometimes difficult commitment, live for the glory of God. How can we as Christians possibly expect our lives to make a difference if we don't allow God to make a difference in us? We cannot be used to change hearts if our hearts remain unchanged. And I pray that God lights a fire in our hearts that we may be consumed with a Holy passion to draw near to Him, so that we may represent Him and live lives that scream to the heavens "My God Saves!". Let us live lives that have eternal legacies through those saved by our testimonies.

Point to Ponder: With how you are living your life now, what will your legacy be?

No comments:

Post a Comment